Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Downward Facing Dog


I don't think I've ever told anyone before, but I've always wanted to try yoga because I liked the way the name sounded - like yogurt.  I actually hate the taste of yogurt but I wish I liked it - smooth, cool, creamy, nutritious.  So the word yoga has always kind of made me feel good - smooth and happy.  When I found out my gym does yoga, I was really excited because I wanted to try it.  This afternoon J had Punkin so I decided to stop at the gym and do my regular workout - 10 on the Arc Trainer, 10 on the elliptical, 10 on the bike (if my thighs could handle it), my strength training and then 10 on the treadmill to finish it all up.  I usually burn about 400 calories during the cardio (not including all the weight training) so I come out of there feeling totally wiped out but really good about all the calories I burned.  I was on my way to the gym when I noticed the class schedule sitting on the front seat of my car.  I checked it out and saw that they had a BodyFlow class at 4:30, which was just about the right time for me.  I wasn't sure about taking it because Megan (my trainer) had suggested I take BodyJam or Zumba first, but I really wanted to get into a class (ANY class) and that one sounded interesting.

So I get to the gym and the first thing that excited me was that I realized we got to take our shoes off!  Anyone who knows me knows I hate wearing shoes and I avoid it whenever I can.  So finding out I got to do the class in my bare toesies was awesome.  There weren't a lot of women there, which was just as well since I wasn't really sure what to do and with less women there for the class, there would be less women to stare at me.

I enjoyed the class...it was a cross between Tai Chi, Pilates and Yoga.  Parts of it were really relaxing (child's pose):

and other parts were rough (variations of the plank):

and by the time I was done, I was really feeling it.  But I'm very glad I went and I want to go back.  I think right now I'm in this mode where I want to try most every class at least once to see what it's like, then pick the ones I like the best and make those my regulars.

Namaste.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment